Google Analytics

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Giving in to temptation...for more seeds

As you may recall, I've already spent some cash with the nice folks at Burpee, so why buy more?

I blame Antitrust Law.

Antitrust class last night was extra-long (we are trying to make up for missing a class a few weeks from now.) But while I'm sitting there, trying to focus on the strange death of the Section 1 per se rule (both it and the "quick look" analysis seem to be repudiated by more modern price-fixing cases, at least for trade association rules that have both price-fixing and public safety rationales) but my mind wanders...to gardening.

ORDER DETAIL

Nelumbo nucifera = $ 4.39 Sacred Water Lotus
Coffea arabica = $ 3.84 Coffee Plant
Humulus lupulus = $ 3.62 Hops
Mahonia aquifolium = $ 3.07 Oregon Grape
Mentha x piperita = $ 2.96 Peppermint
Stenocereus thurberi = $ 3.18 Organ Pipe Cactus
Camellia sinensis = $ 4.17 Tea Plant
Punica granatum nana = $ 3.18 Dwarf Pomegranate
----------------------------------------------------
PURCHASE SUMMARY
Subtotal 8 Items ........................... $ 28.41
Postage & Handling .......................... $ 5.00
----------------------------------------------------
Total Order Amount ......................... $ 33.41
----------------------------------------------------
Thanks again for shopping at Whatcom Seed Company !
Whatcom Seed Company
http://seedrack.com/

Two of the plants I am thinking of turning into housplants: the coffee and the cactus. Coffee likes shade and will (after a few years) produce little coffee beans. If I've grown a cactus it was back when I was a kid. I like the idea of trying to grow a nice impressive looking one.

Two of the plants I'm thinking of trying to use as outdoor shrubs. The Oregon Grape is a cold-hearty evergreen from the pacific northwest. A broadleaf evergreen seems like a fine idea here in the dead of winter. Tea plants should also grow without difficulty here in Philadelphia (I'm not sure if they'll keep their leaves in our winters or not.)

I'm still thinking about how I want to use the hops (which are a vine). I may try using it cover the concrete wall in the back alley to the apartment.

The peppermint croaked that I bought earlier this year. It started strong, but moving it to a dim bedroom window killed it. I want to try again, but this time I'm going to be a bit more careful with the environment.

Finally, although I'm pretty satisfied with the pomegranate in my bedroom, I would like to see how it grows when it can get full sun outdoors. And, I may see about sending some seeds down to Mom and Dad. Georgia is quite warm and sunny enough to see really dramatic growth (and possibly fruit!).

Finally, the Water Lotus may not get planted at all this year. But I want to have it if the opportunity presents itself. The Sacred Lotus is famous for its beauty, but it longs for warm still waters and long days filled with bright sun. N.B. 'waters'. It's an acquatic plant. Still, if I ever decide to give it a try, I want to have the seeds on hand. Indeed, the seeds are legendarily tough: some have sprouted despite being over a thousand years old.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Can anybody else see a line of products with adam's face on it? Coffee, tea, beer...

Adam said...

Introducing the Adamco Industrial family of products.

The new line of beverages that merrily chirp, "Hi There!" for the sophisticated taste.