Google Analytics

Sunday, August 14, 2005

To The Thief

Oh, why did you take
My pot and plants?

Only a day ago, they moved
From my safe windowsill
To the porch.

Dear thief,
Did you not think
-Or did you not care-
That you would confirm my worst suspicions of
Human nature?

You could have watched, with me
The basil grow, and bolt.
You could have watched
The green miracle against
Black soil.

Oh Thief,
You can not know, of course,
That I planted those seeds in March
Sheltering them in my window.

I planted them in defiance,
My middle finger to the tired Winter
Unwilling to surrender
To springtime.

I worried, and coaxed,
And finally when my little plants were ready
To grow beyond their first pot,
I transplanted them, and placed them on
My sunny porch.

I could curse you.
You would deserve the
Divine retribution.

What defense would you have?
If your excuse was hunger,
Why steal the pot and soil?
Will you sell them on the side of the road?
Or did you take it out of simple spite?

Save your excuses.
I am forgiven of my sins;
I will not demand justice from you.

Remember, though, that the Lord
Also comes like a thief in the night.

And He, too, will reap
Where He has not sown.

6 comments:

Bill said...

Oh, that's terrible.
I'm sorry.

Adam said...

Well, fortunately, they only took the basil plant--the large pot with the sedum is still there, as are the baby beet plants.

When I came home, I looked at the big pot, and then the beets, and it was only after getting into my bedroom that I suddenly wondered "Hey wait a sec, aren't I missing something."

I went back outside, and sure enough: the basil pot was gone.

Oh well, at least the pot and the soil are, in the greater scheme of things, inexepensive.

I was pretty mad, though.

Matt said...

When things get stolen, some people swear, some people stomp and shout. Adam writes poetry. This is why we love you, Adam. :)

Adam said...

Thanks Matt.

It is a terrible thing to be so mad that you must versify.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the 'thief' is just someone who tracked you down from your blog and is an individual who disagrees with your opinions. Albeit there are many other ways to voice ones opinion, the culprit did get mentioned on your site and perhaps that is all that was desired.

Adam said...

Anonymous, I appreciate the compliment your theory suggests.

But I'm sure there are better places to go if one wishes to become notorious!