Google Analytics

Monday, September 19, 2005

Beets



This photo was taken about 10 minutes ago (you'll notice that in the late afternoon the sun is quite direct.). When I leave for class I'll check and see if the box outside needs more water.

And then the mint plants and the basil are on my side of the window.

Here in Philadelphia, it has stayed summertime warm throughout the month of September (Weather Channel tells me that it's 85 degrees outside, right now.) If the 10 day forecast is right, we won't be anywhere near cool weather right up 'til October.

Recall the seed packet told me that the Detroit Dark Red Beets need about 55 to 60 days to reach harvest. Since they were planted August 6, that puts harvest anytime after October 4.

At that point, I'll have to decide what to do with the windowbox the beets were growing in. I could just leave it outside and empty over the winter. Or I could try bringing it inside and grow something else over the winter.

I also have my large Sedum Pot outside. When the cold weather comes it will knock out the Sedums. By the way, as promised, the Sedums have attracted lots of little bees, but relatively few butterflies.

For the Sedum Pot I'm just going to keep the heads (for seeds next year) and top off the pot with dirt over the winter.

Next spring I may try growing the nasturtiums again in the Sedum Pot, but from seed. If I don't get a better response I won't worry about it. Potting soil may just be naturally too rich for nasturtiums to thrive.

No comments: