Google Analytics

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Bar Prep, Diet and Fiber, and Cafe de Laos

I've been swamped with Bar prep and work. But even so, I've managed to accomplish a little, like setting up a pretty good budget household budget process for the rest of the summer, and even investigating savings plans for the future (after all, eventually I'll convince someone to hire me, and when that happens I'll need to start building up some reserves.)

I've also been trying to make some improvements to my diet. Of course, I'd tried the same thing earlier in the year, but now I've got a little more control over my time, and I'm finding it easier to prepare stuff at home. One of the big problems when I was going to school is that the classes began at 6 PM. If you leave work at 4, the transit from West Philly to Temple takes about 30 to 45 minutes. That gives a good hour to prepare for class, but not long enough to eat a proper meal.

Which reminds me, I seem to recall having just 25 minutes or so for lunch back in elementary and high school. A terrible policy, and a poor preparation for adult life (where most people are much better off if they eat slowly, rather than wolfing things down.)

Anyway, as part of improving my nutrition, I've been trying to add more fiber to my diet. Which got me curious, why exactly do doctors suggest adding fiber to the diet, anyway.

It turns out that fiber does two things. One, it promotes intestinal health by making it easier for the intestines to push everything on through (specifically, the fiber absorbs water, increasing bulk, which in turn triggers peristalsis) and two, it combines with the cholesterol, which is then excreted, rather than absorbed.

See this article from the Mayo Clinic for more information.

Finally, two weeks ago I went for a late night dinner (9:45 PM) at Cafe de Laos, which is right around the corner at 1117 South 11th Street. The room's decor, with lots of wood and elephant sculpture was great, and I also enjoyed the food. I forget its name, but my entree was sinus-clearing hot and delicious.

For a second opinion, try Philly.com.

2 comments:

Joe G said...

Spicy food, of course, isn't just tasty and delicious, not to mention conducive to unexpected sweating, crying, and/or nose-running.

Spicy foods may be quite healthy - not on the homeopathic basis that if it kills you in large doses, a small dose is healthy (a la What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger), but in the sense that hots may in fact help prevent cancer, etc. Since orange juice and fibrous cereals and fresh fruit and vegetables are also said to help avert health risks, I feel like I can have a varied and nevertheless exciting diet.

Just add spice.

Oh, and I think you misspelled the word by writing "parastalsis." Which you would know if you'd gone to med school instead of law school, I bet.

Google makes the correction, "Did you mean: peristalsis ?"

Adam said...

Howdy Eh!

Well, I bow to no man in my love of the relatively bland foods of my youth. But as for spelling, that's a kettle of otherwise colored fish.

By the time you read this, I'll have already magically fixed the error.