Google Analytics

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Non Lettuce Salad Green Choices

Once upon a time, I went to visit an allergies about my lifelong and deeply annoying allergies. I underwent a series of subcutaneous prick tests, where we established that I was, in fact, allergic to cats, dogs, trees, grass, and mold spores.

One time, with 10 little red bumps rising on my arm, the allergist tech told me that they'd have to throw out the results--the control they were using turned into an angry welt on my arm. The control agent, selected because it was an extremely rare for someone to react to it, was lettuce. Yes, I was allergic to lettuce.

So, I've been looking at ways to get greens into my diet without lettuce. Collards, of course, are always an option. As is spinach (the local convenience store chain, Wawa, carries a spinach salad that I can eat that's quite tasty.)

And, now a new green. Day before yesterday, I stopped by Whole Foods, and got two bags of mache, aka corn salad or lamb's lettuce.

Verdict: Tasty. Quite tasty.

I also have discovered that it only takes a small amount of cheese or salad dressing to really wake up the flavor of the greens. I belive this is because the tounge's ability to detect flavors is vastly improved when a fat is available to carry them.

No comments: