Google Analytics

Sunday, May 15, 2005

A week of resting up

This week I spent resting up.

On Tuesday in celebration of finishing my finals, I took a day trip to NYC and checked wandered around Times Square some more. Which is great fun. I also went and watched "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" at the AMC in Times Sq. Which was also cool. The only downside to the trip was that Greyhound was running a little behind.

Oh, and on the way home to Philly, a mother with atrocious parenting skills was yelling at her children every few minutes, including such tender words as "Shut up! If there weren't so many people around I would beat you."

The rest of the week I've spent working, and cleaning the house. If you spend a month stressing over exams, and generally ignoring housework, you'd be surprised how much gunk will appear.

I also will be sending off a load of bills tomorrow. I've run out of stamps at home, but there's an atm style stamp machine close to work.

Today was very warm, humid, and sunny. I loved it.

3 comments:

iSuze said...

One time, I was on a PAT bus in Pittsburgh riding from Downtown to Oakland. During that time, I heard one particular mother tell her child (who obviously had a mental disorder) that she was going to "f-ing beat his ass" about 50 times. The child was afraid of the bus and instead of try to reassure him, she just screamed obscenities at him. And the policeman, social worker and CYS employee sitting near me (who all made comments below their breath) did nothing, because like me, they feared as ass-kicking of their own. So sad, that we turn a blind eye to the plight of a child. I still feel guilty about just sitting there, ignoring the mother's verbal abuse.

Bill said...

Ah yes, but unlike you the Policeman, social worker, and CYS employee all have a duty to report behavior like that to a child. It's some kind of mandated thing that Terri or Matt could explain.

Adam said...

One problem, and it's something that lawyers deal with as well, is that without more information, you really can't tell if she's only verbally abusive or something worse.

That is, is she a bad parent or a dangerously bad parent? I'm certain the women I and Susie are describing are the first, but I'm unsure I can say for certain they're the latter.