Google Analytics

Friday, July 01, 2005

The Airline Industry Makes Me Cry

Originally, I was supposed to leave at 2:55. I am on the standby list for tomorrow, but the earliest actual flight out that I can be booked on is Sunday Afternoon.

What's most frustrating is that I remember when the system had excess capacity. I remember when it was inexpensive to fly. I remember when, if there was a problem, there were enough staff that the gates weren't overwhelmed with frustrated travelers. I remember when there were more than enough chairs in the waiting area, so that you didn't have to sit on a planter, like I did this afternoon.

We'd entered the plane, and then, per a dispatcher order from Atlanta, the flight was cancelled. Then, I had to wait in a 50 minute line for the lone gate agent to rebook everyone. She was never relieved the whole time. No managers came to help, and nobody went to the big desk, located just feet away, where they could easily man 3 or 4 lines. US Airways is not providing enough customer service staff. This is the same frustration I had back at Christmas (when I was similarly delayed overnight).

So tomorrow, 'round 6:00 AM I'll go back to the airport, hoping that a lot of people oversleep and miss their flight. And then I'll snap up one of their seats and fly to Atlanta, to see Mom and Dad.

No comments: