Google Analytics

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Yesterday, I combined two squirts of lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1 1/3 cup sugar, 2 cups chopped rhubarb, 4 cups of sliced strawberries, and 1 cup of cornstarch into a 9-inch store-bought frozen pie pan and cooked it for 1 hour at 375 Degrees.

The good news is that it tastes fantastic. The rhubarb adds a great tang to the filling, and there is bounteous strawberry flavor as well. The cinnamon and lemon are in the background, right where they're supposed to be.

The bad news is that 1 cup of cornstarch was not enough. The filling tastes great but is runny. Instead of free-standing slices, my pie's consistency is more cobbler-like.

Now, last year I made a number of pies, and then I discovered that I got much more reliable results out of tapioca in my cherry pies, and perhaps the best results when I preheated the filling mixture on low heat on the stovetop ahead of time.

Regardless, I'm now off to study for exams. Monday is Land Use, so I'll be studying that today and tomorrow. Civ Pro II is Wednesday, so Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I'll be hitting the books for that one.

2 comments:

Bill said...

I'm sorry, what have you done with Adam. The Adam I knew couldn't make toast.

Adam said...

Alas, were this a well ordered universe, I wouldn't need to figure out how to cook. I could consign culinary duties to the distaff side of the family, and I would focus on what I do best: eating.