Google Analytics

Monday, April 04, 2005

A Law Student's Nightmare Come True

Last week I missed Aviation Law. Since he's been having witnesses come in for a case he's working on, the lectures have mostly focused on him doing the trial lawyer thing in front of them.

As it turns out, I must have missed something critically important, because this week he had people doing voir dire as if we were doing the case.

And I was supposed to be one of the people doing it!

Now, up to this point in law school, I have studiously avoided anything having to do with trial work. I've not taken Evidence, I don't know about the FRCP, and I have no idea what I am, and am not, permitted to do or say in front of a witness (direct or cross.)

All of this is consistent with my long-standing desire to be an international transactional attorney. In transactional work, the goal is to never go to court. If somehow I should write something that gets litigated, I'd happily hand it over to a lititgator, and let them figure out what to do with it.

So I spoke to him after class (which I when I learned I'd been signed up for today) and he'll figure out what to do with me. Although this part of the class isn't graded, your worst nightmare as a law student is to show up unprepared. And I was not only unprepared, I was completely sideswiped. I still have no idea what I'll be doing.

So that was mighty unpleasant.

Afterwards, we had a special guest lecturer in Immigration Law, and were expressly directed not to take notes. She's the Prof's wife, and is a Tax lawyer, who loves the intricacies of the IRC. So we learned some cool basic stuff about how the IRS treats the taxes for earnings of non-citizens.

And then I went to the Draught Horse and had buffalo chicken strips and fries. Tasty.

No comments: