Google Analytics

Friday, June 03, 2005

Neologism Ahoy!

So here I am, minding my own business, when suddenly I was accosted by a neologism!

The word?

AMSTERSLAMMED

Which I sighted at Spiegel International, here.

Now, certainly, it could be misused to describe the consequence of downing too many of these, but in reality, I think this new word belongs in the political science lexicon.

First, I find it euphonious.

Second, it fills a need for a synonym for "coup de grĂ¢ce" that applies particularly to the political context.

Example (fictional):
Congress amsterslammed the sugar subsidy bill yesterday, defeating the measure in the House by a surprising margin (300 to 20) just hours after a non-binding Sense of the Senate vote had suggested that the bill was in trouble on the other side of the Hill.

Amsterslams signal that a previous unexpected electoral result was not just a fluke, but a real signal that politicians only ignore at their peril.

No comments: