Google Analytics

Saturday, June 04, 2005

New Bed

When I travelled, long ago, from Nashville back to Pittsburgh, I needed to bring a bed with me. Given that Dad and I were travelling in a rented van (if I recall correctly) we needed something small.

Enter my cousin-in-law Jason's waterbed. Back when Jason was a swinging bachelor (that is, before he married my cousin Angie) he had a waterbed. After getting married, the waterbed led a second, unused life, in his garage, and so he kindly loaned it to me.

That bed did fine service in my care from October 1996, until this February, when the mattress (an unbaffled vinyl shell, and therefore utterly transmissive of the slightest motion) began to leak from the bottom (hence nowhere easy for me to patch). So I was presented with a conundrum: was the time to buy a new mattress, or was it time to buy a new bed.

So in March I decided to retire the waterbed, and I threw out the mattress and stowed the frame in my basement.

Yesterday I bought the new bed.

Careful attention to chronology suggests a problem.

And, indeed, for the past two months I've been sleeping on the floor, propped up on pillows.

So, I've just spent two hours putting together another fine product from the folks at IKEA, and am looking forward to going to sleep in a proper bed again.

3 comments:

Bill said...

Now how is Regeanomics supposed to work if good Republicans like you are taking 2 months to choose and buy a new bed?

Adam said...

Well, the problem is that I don't use my bed for business purposes!

If my bed was a business expense, and I was looking to expand my business, then the lower marginal tax rates would help.

Since my profits would be taxed at a lower rate, I would benefit more from increasing my business, and thus I would be incentivized to buy a new bed more quickly.

Along with low interest rates (which were not necessarily a feature of Reagonomics, but are a pleasant feature of the current financial scene) I would be able to run to a bank to get a loan for a new bed, and then pay it off using my improved income stream.

All comes to naught, though, because my bed is not a tool or implement of my trade. Instead, it's merely a consumed good: I enjoy using it, but it doesn't make me any money.

...Or does it?

Bill said...

I suppose if used correctly, it could provide a highly effective revenue stream