Google Analytics

Saturday, June 18, 2005

New Plant Based Purchase

Today I decided I was tired of having an empty front porch. I went to 10th and South Street, where a wonderful woman at All Occasions Flowers helped me pick out a big plastic pot, and some plants to fill it.

I carried the pot and one bag of soil one time, and then came back to the store where I picked up my plants and the other bag of soil.

Pictures:

My Pot and Plants in Context


Overhead Shot



Third Photo



Finally, the details. The taller plant is a Stonecrop, specifically Sedum 'Matrona'. It grows from 18 to 24 inches tall, and should bloom from late summer into midfall. I bought four of them, and they are clustered in the middle of the pot. The smaller little plants are Nasturtiums. I purchased 5 of those, and the goal is to get them to drape over the edges of the pot.

I put 3 inches of styrofoam packing peanuts in the bottom, and then filled the rest of the pot with two bags (16 quarts each) of Miracle Grow potting soil. Both plants are drought resistant, but I'll be watering them quite a bit for the first few weeks just to make sure they get started okay.

And finally, I know I live on a street that sees a lot of pedestrian traffic, but hopefully nothing untoward will happen to my plants. To reduce the risk of losing flowers to passerby, I didn't choose anything with really big, showy flowers.

1 comment:

Bill said...

I could have sent you enough plants to fill the building next to you.