Google Analytics

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Oh, and don't forget, from the clay pots



The Basil has a significant tropism towards the light. The camera is showing the face that was facing the window earlier today. The pomagranite does not appear to grow towards the sun.

Now, in researching my plants yesterday, I came across some fascinating information.

First, the nasturtiums are edible. While it's unlikely I'll snack on them, pretty much the whole thing can be eaten--the seeds are peppery, the flowers and leaves are milder in flavor. A search on the web suggests a number of recipes for nasturtium infusions of various sorts. And, it appears that their name includes a derivation from the latin word "tort" which is a delightful connection with my classes.

In addition, the nasturtiums are extremely tasty to black aphids. The Sedum is appearently resistant to everything.

Further, I also learned that pomegranites do not grow true from seed. Thus, while the seed packager may have tried to include a seed for one of the dwarf varieties, there's no guarantee that a dwarf version will grow from it. So I could wind up with a plant that wants to grow to 16 feet tall.

No comments: