Google Analytics

Saturday, April 22, 2006

The End of School

Most of the time, as I zip through my daily routine, my mind is elsewhere.

I'll be reading, or contemplating problems, or praying, or just talking on a cell-phone. But this Thursday I tried to take special care to be aware of the day, since it was the last like it I may ever have.

First, when I woke up, I didn't rush. I didn't have to, I couldn't sleep past 7:30 anyway. I reckon it was the excitement: the last day of school. It's only been four years, but I don't remember what my last day at Pitt was like. I can't remember which classes ended the final day.

You know, it occurs to me, the University of Pittsburgh has a much earlier graduation than most other schools. I wonder-I just checked my diploma-the diploma date for Pitt, and thus the graduation was April 27, 2002. So the night of my first exam (Criminal procedure) will be the same day that I graduated from Pitt.

My last day of school was a gorgeous spring day, with the cherry trees doubled-over with blooms, flowers everywhere poked up, and abundant sunshine.

After work, I drank my usual iced coffee and read the New York Times at the bookstore.

And then the classes. First antitrust, in K2B (that's Klein Hall, room 2b.) And then Securities Regulation.

Not much fanfare. For the most part I guess the need to prepare for exams, and the bar, takes some of the enthusiasm out of celebrating.

But at 7:30, Professor Porrata-Doria took a moment to note if there were any graduating students in the class. It's a smaller class, but I think four folks raised their hands. (It's the last scheduled class hour for an evening student-we don't have friday classes.)

After that, a trip to the Draught Horse, and then the subway back home.

No comments: