Google Analytics

Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Sacrifices of Law School

When I read Bill's post about watching the buggy races at Carnegie Mellon's Spring Carnival, I was remained yet again of one of the non-obvious sacrifices that law school requires from me.

The only reason I'm not in Pittsburgh this weekend, visiting all the wonderful people there, is because of law school.

But that sacrifice, though painful, is fairly straightforward. I don't get to see my friends or watch the races, but its part of the work necessary to obtain a law degree.

But there's another sacrifice, too. After all, my friends have to miss me, too. And if my presence could have brought them even a little joy, then that sacrifice is one they have made without any say in the matter.

And, worse, they don't get a JD out of it.

I've been thinking about how to say all this at Commencement.

Our family, and our friends, have given up a part of us, a natural and perfectly right claim to our time and attention, so that we students may pursue our dreams.

No comments: