Google Analytics

Monday, April 17, 2006

Problem in the IE Address Bar

Microsoft released a patch tuesday to address a number of software vulnerabilites (and some IP rights issues.)

Afterwards something odd happened: the IE address bar stopped working normally. I know a lot of folks don't manually type in URLs, but I do. After the patches installed there was a change in the system: when I typed in google.com in the taskbar and hit return (or enter) nothing happened. IE just sat there, looking at me. If I typed it in as http://google.com it would go just as it normally would. I checked in firefox and netscape and they hadn't been affected.

Turns out it was an incompatability with an HP driver. And, happily, MS published a fix: it takes a little registry editing, but I just did it, and the repair took.

No comments: