Google Analytics

Friday, April 28, 2006

I blame the Bee Gees

Tonight I wanted to go to Johnny Rockets for dinner. I picked up a newspaper around the corner ($1.25 for the Wall Street Journal?) and then stood at the front waiting to be seated.

Unfortunately, "Stayin' Alive" was playing. At Johnny Rockets, there are some songs that, alas, the waitstaff must dance to.

The problem was that appearantly I showed up just as the song was starting.

You may not recall this, but "Stayin' Alive" runs for about 8 minutes. When you're standing there, waiting for someone to take you to a seat, eight minutes is a long time.

Long enough, in fact, that I gave up.

So now I'm walking down South Street again, thinking about where to eat.

I take a fateful right turn, and wind up at The Famous 4th Street Deli.

I'd seen the place for many years, but appearantly they've only begun serving in the evenings in the last year--hence I'd never eaten there.

The food, the decor, and the service were all swell. But if you feel guilty about leaving food on your plate, be advised that the brobdingnagian portions mean that you'll be carrying a lot of food home.

For the Philadelphia Inquirer's restauarant critic Craig LaBan's review, here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would think the dance one does to "Stayin' Alive" would lend itself perfectly well to seating a patron. Simply do the downward point motion toward the patron, indicating that he should follow the hostess, then dance over to a table, downward point toward it, and dance back to the front.